Monday, February 5, 2024

 Ezekiel 34  In verses 1-10 the Lord brings a word against the "shepherds of Israel".  It is a powerful indictment against those who failed to lead Israel as they were commanded to do. "Woe, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flock?" 

I can't read this without thinking of the last words that Jesus spoke to Peter...  "Simon, son of John, do you love Me... Tend my lambs.. Shepherd My sheep.. Tend My sheep.. " ( John 21:15-17)

The shepherds of Israel.. the religious leaders and the political leaders failed to feed anyone but themselves.. "You eat the fat and clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fat sheep without feeding the flock. "  It is the same indictment that Jesus spoke to the Pharisees in His time.. they took pride in their selves, but never helped the people whom they were supposed to serve.  "Those who are sickly you have not strengthened, the diseased you have not healed, the broken you have not bound up, the scattered you have not brought back, nor have you sought for the lost: but with force and with severity you have dominated them." ( verse 4)

The flock.. Israel were scattered and lost and there was" no one to search or seek for them."(v6)   The Lord told Ezekiel to proclaim that He was against these fat shepherds.. and that He Himself would "search for My sheep and seek them out.. "  And this is what Jesus said, ".. the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." ( Luke 19:10)  

The shepherds of Israel failed but the Lord, our Good Shepherd will never fail! This is what He promised in Ezekiel 34:14-16 "I will feed them in a good pasture, and their grazing ground will be on the mountain heights of Israel.  There they will lie down in good pasture on the mountains of Israel. I will feed My flock and I will lead them to rest, declares the Lord.  I will seek the lost, bring back the scattered, bind up the broken, and strengthen the sick; but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with judgement." 

Ezekiel is given a beautiful glimpse of the Messiah.. "Then I will set over them one shepherd, My servant David, and he will feed them; he will feed them himself and be their shepherd. And I the Lord will be their God and My servant David will be prince among them; I the Lord, have spoken." (v23-24) 

That time is coming.. when the people of God will know the "showers of blessing" that He has promised.. "Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I have broken the bars of their yoke and have delivered them from the hand of those who enslaved them." (v27)

What a wonderful Word Ezekiel was given!  It must have filled his heart with joy.. as ours are filled with the Truth of our Good Shepherd.. who told us.. " ( John 10:27-28) 

Father in heaven, our Mighty Shepherd.. who declares us Your sheep, the sheep of Your pasture.. our God, hallowed be Your Name. Thank You for the promises to bring us to Your blessed Kingdom.. where we will find rest forever in Your care. Father, remove those, who even now, are like the fat shepherds.. who feed themselves and help no one.. who do not know You or love You.. who do not feed Your flock or tend Your lambs.  Restore Your flock, restore Israel.. and bring the lost and scattered back to Your Truth. Bring us fully into Your Presence that we might know You, our God and King.. Jesus, our Shepherd who has called us by name.. we praise You!  Thank You gracious Father. Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment