Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Isaiah 50

More is revealed about Jesus in this chapter....
v4  Jesus was given the "tongue of disciples" to "sustain the weary one with a word". 
God, the Father "... awakens Me morning by morning, He awakens My ear to listen as a disciple." 
v5 "The Lord God has opened My ear; and I was not disobedient, nor did I turn back."

This resonates with us as we remember how Jesus spoke and acted with compassion on those He came into contact with, offering His easy yoke and light burden.. offering His rest.  ( Matthew 11:28-30)  We know that Jesus spent much time in prayer and proclaimed that He spoke only " the things seen with My Father" ( John 8:38) And John 12: 49 " For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me commandment, what to say, and what to speak."

 Jesus perfectly obeyed all that the Father required of Him.  Even:

v6 " I gave My back to those who strike Me, and My cheeks to those who pluck out the beard;  I did not cover My face from the humiliation and spitting."  Matthew 26: 67  " Then they spat in His face and beat Him with their fists; and others slapped Him, " 

Isaiah shares with us next something that we don't find in the gospels...he shares with us what Jesus was thinking during the time He was being beaten, humiliated and crucified.. .

"For the Lord God helps Me, 
Therefore I am not disgraced;
Therefore, I have set My face like flint,
And I know that I shall not be ashamed.
He who vindicates Me is near;
who will contend with Me?
..
Behold, the Lord God helps Me;
Who is he who condemns Me?"
(v7-9)

Jesus so perfectly trusted the Father to vindicate Him, to help Him, to bring Him through the agony of the cross.  Then, He calls us to follow Him.. " Who is among you that fears the Lord , that obeys the voice of His servant, that walks in darkness and has no light? Let him trust in the name of the Lord and rely on  his God." 


Father in heaven, our faithful Almighty God,  You are eternal and never changing.  We praise You and thank You for the Word of life that brings us truth and hope and comfort.  All that Jesus suffered was according to Your Word and Your will.. for our salvation.  How wonderful and amazing!  We also can trust in You and rely on You to bring us through all the trials of our lives.. which are nothing in comparison to our Lord's sacrifice on the cross.. and so little compared to what many of Your followers are suffering even today.  Thank You for this truth to bind around us as a belt.  Thank You for the righteousness of Christ which is our breastplate, the helmet of salvation which covers our heads, the shoes of peace which allow us to stand firm, and the shield of faith which protects against the fiery darts of the enemy.  We take up the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, to fight against evil.  And we pray continually for Your Kingdom to come and Your will to be done on earth as it is in Heaven.  In Jesus' Name. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment