Monday, January 27, 2014

Psalm 61 "Hear my cry, O God; give heed to my prayer. From the end of the earth I call to Thee, when my heart is faint."
In Africa I had intended to memorize this psalm, but for some reason I couldn't seem to get beyond these 2 verses.  I found myself meditating upon them and praying them daily.  I could relate to being at the "end of the earth".  I could relate to being "faint" of heart.  I still do.  It is one of those times in life when I am unable to do anything but wait on God to hear my prayers and answer them by His power and according to His mercy and grace.  "Lead me to the rock that is higher than I."
Lord, You are my refuge and strength.  You are a "tower of strength against the enemy."   Like David, the king, I am seeking lovingkindness and truth.  I am seeking the Presence of God. To take refuge in You.  To be sheltered under Your wings.  Jesus, You are a "the Rock in a weary land, a shelter in the time of storm."   Lead us today, to trust You, to wait on You. To pour out our hearts before You.
"On God my salvation and my glory rest; the rock of my strength , my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times O people; Pour out your heart before Him. God is a refuge for us." ( Psalm 62:7-8)

Matthew 5:7  " Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy."  Merciful - actively compassionate.  By word or deed. To have pity on,  Mercy starts with God, He is the "father of mercies."  He identifies Himself as "gracious and merciful, slow to anger and great in lovingkindness."   Vines says that "Mercy is an act of God, peace is the resulting experience in the heart of man. Grace describes God's attitude toward the lawbreaker and the rebel; mercy is His attitude toward those who are in distress."  ".. grace must go before mercy.. only the forgiven may be blessed."
In the sermon on the mount, Jesus has taught that we must:
recognize our poverty of spirit
mourn over our sin and suffering
humble ourselves in gentleness
crave right relationship with Him
and now take this precious attitude and character of God and make it our own.
All of this depends on His Grace.

Jesus, You are the Rock of our salvation and we need Your grace! We can do nothing on our own, but  wholly lean on You.  We long for You, our comfort, our righteousness, our only hope.   Your Word tells us the "Your mercies cover all your works."  Cover us with Your mercy.  May we know Your active compassion and pity on us, today... in our every need.  Hear our cries today, Lord Jesus. Take heed of our prayers.  Lead us to the Rock that is higher than any other.  To Yourself.
We ask this in Your Powerful, Wonderful Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment