Thursday, October 8, 2026

 Acts 21 Paul and his friends set sail for Syria.  Luke gives us the exact route and number of days and even who they stayed with during this trip. All along the way people warned Paul about going to Jerusalem.  He knew without doubt that he was walking into a place of bondage and persecution.  His response?   "For I am ready not only  to be bound, but even to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."

Paul was able to encourage the church at Jerusalem with the good news of what God was doing throughout Asia and Europe. But.. it didn't take long before the Jews began to cause trouble and Paul was arrested. He was able to speak to the Jews and give his testimony about coming to know Jesus on the road to Damascus. But, when he spoke about going to the Gentiles...the people would no longer listen and started throwing things at him. 

Tied up by the Romans, Paul revealed his Roman citizenship and had to be released from his chains while a trial was set up with his accusers.

I wonder how I would have responded in Paul's place?  When godly people begged Paul to stay away from Jerusalem he still went. Would I go anyway?  We are cautiously concerned  for those who are sent where they know it may be dangerous.. but if we knew they were absolutely going to suffer would we beg them not to go? Do we have the courage to walk into a place of danger.. even if we believe that the Holy Spirit is telling us to go?  I confess that I have trouble walking into any place that  is new to me.. let alone a place where I have been warned about!  God chose Paul to do what he was called to do.. knowing that he would follow through no matter what. 

 God chooses each of us for what He has prepared us for.. what He has made us for.. what He has called us to do.. and He will equip us for that work.  Thank God for His grace and goodness!

Father, grant us the courage to obey Your voice and to walk in Your ways.. no matter what lies ahead. In Jesus' name we ask this. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment